Sunday, June 7

More pondering

This time, I don't have an excuse for my lack of blogging. With all this free time, one would think that I could spare about 5 minutes to update you on my life. I have greatly disappointed myself. I have shown that I lack both commitment and responsibility.

^There. I just admitted a flaw about myself. Does that make me a sensible person? Yeah? Or maybe I'm just saying that to make you think I'm a sensible person. Here's the question: Is there a difference between modesty and humility? Yes. Say that I made the above statement just so I could come across as one who admits one's faults. I may do this to avoid arguments: If someone were to tell me that I am irresponsible, I could avoid the argument just by agreeing. This is a form of modesty. I would also exhibit modesty when I know I'm great but I don't flaunt it, perhaps for fear or being seen as arrogant.

Now, if I were to make that above statement and truly believe it, that is humility. I am only truly humble when I sincerely believe that I am flawed. They say that the truly great are humble because they are aware of what they have not mastered. This characteristic could be applied to the philosopher Socrates, who is thought to have been a true genius not for acquiring vast knowledge but for simply being aware of what he does not know. Knowing that there is always more to know is a sign of humility and is what spurs on philosophical and scientific thought.


That was my deep and thoughtful segment for today. So, what's new with my life? You guessed it: not much. I've been dancing more lately in order to prepare for this one performance my friend Mamtha and I are doing at wedding in Martha's Vineyard about two weeks from now. I also have decided to take part in the first Nrityanjali Production called Nritya Haram. It promises to be wonderful and tickets are only $10, so you should certainly come. Just let me know if you're interested.
And what else? The letters M, C, A, and T are looming large and scary. I hope to be done with 1/3 of my studying by the end of today though. Next weekend, I really want to go camping with my friends, but we'll see how that works out.

Ciao for now, and please comment so I can know if there are people at least mildly interested in what I have to say. Thanks!

4 comments:

Nipunn said...

1) Philosophy sounds like a lot of thinking.
2) I am interested. I haven't any of your performances yet (not live at least). Plus you made a promise of wonderfulity.
3) Go camping!
4) What days are your classes? More importantly, what days AREN'T your classes?

Sowmya said...

My classes are on Monday and Wednesday and occasionally Friday

Ramya said...

It sounds like philosophy is interesting and you're enjoying it. Cool.

Camping? Lucky! I hope you go. And then blog about it.

Good luck with the dance stuff.

PS- Your recent blog entries have been sadly devoid of pictures. I bet you really miss me. ;)

Sowmya said...

I miss your camera, actually.

Just kidding.
:):):)
<3