Wednesday, April 1

Dancerific!

Helloooo my blogreaders,

Turns out I'm going to India this summer, the day after my finals let out. And I'm going to return a week before my MCAT, right at the end of August. So I guess I won't be seeing my pals all summer :(:(
I know, I know, we did just go to India, but who can resist? Turns out we have several weddings to attend and my parents desperately want us to go as many times as possible before I begin my 4 years of Hell (a.k.a. medical school).

The last few days were pretty action packed:

Friday night was Bhangra Resurrection: a huge party where everyone comes together dances Bhangra until either their feet give out or we lose the room. Oh boy! I really do love Bhangra and to prove it, I have two large blisters on both of my big toes from the repeated jumping and breaking-it-to the beats of the dhol. It was massive fun. We have a bunch of dance teams at Penn State...minus Bhangra (very sad).

On Saturday, Ramya's parents and sister came from Philly, so we had a nice dinner with them at a VietThai. From there, we drove over to the Eisenhower Auditorium where there was DANDIA ON FIRE!!! No, nothing caught fire...Dandia on Fire (DOF) is a massive competition where collegiate teams perform Raas, another style of dancing. This one comes from Gujarat. There were 9 teams and the University Maryland won the competition, getting the opportunity to advance to the next level of competition, Raas All Stars in Texas. Of course, all of the teams performed excellently, along with Penn State's own Ghamudyaaz. Paul Varghese (comedian, NBC's Last Comic Standing) made for a pretty freaking hilarious emcee. I may actually like him better than Russell Peters.

On Sunday, I went to Puja where we ended up having a really long Bhajan just because we actually had a tabla player present. After that, we went to Indian Pavilion for a nice Ugadi brunch. Ugadi is the Telugu New Year.
Monday was rather uninteresting, except during the morning when I woke up 10 minutes before Ochem, ran to Shivam's room, and tossed him my lecture problem. He was supposed to go to Ochem that day to hand them in, but slept in until a few minutes before the class ended. Luckily, he woke up in time, ran to class, and just managed to hand them in. Props to Shivam for that one.

And then, yesterday, we finally performed our rat surgeries! This was actually pretty bad planning on the part of the bio department, for scheduling our surgeries on the same day that the 9 page lab report was due, especially since many people pulled all-nighters. It is never wise to have sleep deprived college students performing unilateral ovariectomies on rats and expect them (the rats) to survive. But somehow, the surgeries were pretty successful, apart from the fact that Jon and Shivam's group made a massive incision into their rat's abdominal muscles and had to give it 15 sutures. Now, we just have to wait and see if the rats survive until their autopsies, two weeks from now.

Today was pretty uneventful except for the fact that I ran 3.5 miles after eating nothing and then stole 2 slices of pizza + 3 breadsticks from the dining commons.

By the way, about the India thing: April Fool's.
Guess you'll have to put up with me this summer after allllllllllllll....

6 comments:

Marissa said...

What the hell Sowmya. Turns out I'm never actually going to see you again.

Sowmya said...

I guess you missed the April Fool's?

Melody said...

Haha, Caltech fail. See you in two weeks. Unless that's just an April Fool's that has lasted since mid-March...

Nipunn said...

Reading comprehension is overrated anyway!

Paul Varghese is hilarious!
I saw him at Bhangra in the Burgh last fall. Funny Emcee.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
praneetha said...

i almost had a heart attack when i found out you werent going to be at my arang. id woop your buttocks if you werent there so yeah betchh.